Saturday, December 5, 2009

My Top 10 Albums of the Decade

I thought this would be really difficult to do, so i wasn't going to do it. Then i thought, i should own my top 10 or they wouldn't or couldn't be in my top 10. I didn't want to worry whether the album was at the top of the "indie charts" or that my favorite music magazine was telling me it was the best, or even one that most of my friends would praise. It was MY top 10. So as i browsed through my nicely sized c.d. collection i thought of the albums that i would listen to for months at a time. I wanted albums carrying huge amounts of nostalgia whether it be from 9 years ago or last week. And lastly an album i could pretty much listen to at any time or any place and be perfectly satisfied.

Well ladies and gentlemen, without further adieu i give you my personal top 10 albums of the decade:

#10
Trouble by Ray Lamontagne (2004)

I bought this album while Rachel and i were enjoying a vacation in Florida with the family. It reminds me of driving down roads lined by a thick forest of trees on ether side and waking up to rainy mornings.
"Burn" is a heart wrenching song about losing love, like standing in a giant empty room in the dark all alone bleeding. I love it!

Burn by Ray Lamontagne





#9
Bring It Back by Mates Of State (2006)

A husband and wife band of which Rachel and i aspire to become like one day. Filled with memories of Rachel and i singing at the top of our lungs while driving through Bountiful feeling on top of the world.
"Punchlines" is our favorite song to sing, especially the awesome two part ascending last half of the song. WAAOOOOHHHHWW!

Punchlines by Mates Of State



#8
Rodeo and Picasso by Recover (2001)

Rounding off of my emo loving past before "emo" became a bad word. I listened to this album ALL THE TIME. Which was interesting cause i was never a big fan of lots of screaming in music, that is besides this album and "The Shape of Punk to Come" by Refused (not of this decade).
Rodeo and Picasso just hit the right spot to fulfill my early 20's angst.
"Sympathetic Sickness" is the best marriage of melody and screams.

Sympathetic Sickness by Recover




#7
We, The Vehicles by Maritime (2006)

The reincarnation of the 90's "emo" band "The Promise Ring", also a band that my own band was lucky enough to perform with. We, The Vehicles is not only a perfect album to jog to, it's also strangely addicting. I would leave this playing in my car over and over and over again... i guess that means it's also a really great driving album... oh, and a great album for dancing of course.
"Don't Say You Don't" could be the catchiest song of all time.

Don't Say You Don't by Maritime



#6
Impeccable Blahs 
by Say Hi To Your Mom (2006)
Speaking of great albums to dance to, you could probably pick any album from Say Hi... and be dancing all night long. Impeccable Blahs was my first album from Say Hi and not at all my last, yet still my favorite. plus every song on this album is about vampires 
(pre-twilight) when vampires were a lot cooler.
"These Fangs" is the first song i ever heard by Say Hi.  From then on i was instantly impressed and amazed. 


#5
Heartbreaker by Ryan Adams (2000)

My first introduction to "alt-country" and what an introduction it was. This album kills and continues to be Ryan Adams greatest. A perfect album for rainy days and a perfect album for sunny days. Bringing back wonderful memories of past girlfriends and times i'll only be able to visit again in memory by sitting alone, listing to this masterpiece of an album.
Whether your from the south or not "Oh My Sweet Carolina" will
make you homesick.






#4
                  
For Emma, Forever Ago 
by Bon Iver (2007)

Ok, I'm gonna say it... i heard this album before you did:)... maybe not. But it was before all the hype and stories about this album. which was nice cause i was able to form my own opinion before anyone really told me how good it was. I just remember driving home alone late one cold winter night after playing a show listing to this for the first time and just being in a blissful daze as if this was my personal soundtrack at that exact time. 300 listens later, i'm still floored by this spectacular album.
"Skinny Love" is simply brilliant.





#3
Sha Sha by Ben Kweller (2002)

Easily comparable to Weezers masterful "Blue Album", Sha Sha was Ben Kwellers first real solo debut. Being the perfect care free album. Bringing back memories of having nothing to fear, young love, hot summer days, and really living life to it's fullest. Superb.
"Lizzy" is like a heartfelt love letter being written by someone hoping to finally come back home.






#2
Suicide Medicine 
by Rocky Votolato (2003)

My friends and i were a bit obsessed with Rocky, especially after listing to this perfectly composed album. A great mix of rock, alt-country, even a little oldschool emo, and of course pure awesomeness. I dream that one day my voice can be as cool as his. This is what makes music great.
"Mix Tapes / Cell Mates" is a beautiful song about life.



#1
Advisory Committee 
by Mirah (2002)

Also one of my top 3 albums of all time. This one was with me through the good times and got me through the bad time. Incomparable and absolutely perfect. You must experience this albumIt really is a perfect album... really.
"Cold, Cold Water" makes me feel infinite.




enjoy.

2 comments:

  1. Very interesting list. Ever since you posed the question I've been thinking about it. Look for mine to come shortly. I'm glad to see Sha Sha made the list. Definitely a fav and I'm sure it will make my list. It's interesting to see different peoples music tastes. Especially when it doesn't all come from the Billboard Top 40.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Davin, this is such a good idea. I would do this if I had a bigger music collection, I think... Anywho, nice. Also, I own two of these albums, and that makes me feel cool. :)

    ReplyDelete