Tuesday, December 15, 2009

Top 6 Albums of 2009

This was a weird year for me. I didn't really get into a whole lot of new music, mostly just listened to vinyl from thrift stores. But out of the new music i did purchase, it has been very difficult to narrow it down to my top 5, hence the 6...  So here now is what i've decided are the best releases of 2009. enjoy.

#6
Horehound by The Dead Weather

You ether love Jack White or loathe him. I have enjoyed most of what he's done, and this band blows The Raconteurs out of the water. Just dirty and wonderful with a twist of 50's garage rock. yum.


#5
Memoirs At The End Of The World by The Postmarks

                                    
A beautiful retro flavored album. Not only do i love the album, but the cover design wins for my favorite cover of the year. Listing to this album makes me feel like i'm James Bond.




#4
Hospice by The Antlers

Are you alone and dying in a hospital? Well here is your soundtrack. enjoy.


#3
Wind's Poem by Mount Eerie

I've pretty much loved everything Phil Elverum has created, i aspire to be like him musically. 
This album is epic. It puts me in a peaceful trance and melts my brain... in a good way.




#2
Oohs & Aahs by Say Hi


So rad. Say Hi yet again blows my mind with awesomeness. The only complaint i have of this album is it's much too short. So i have to listen to it 3 times back to back until i'm completely satisfied.


#1
Tell It To The Volcano by Miniature Tigers

Another band inspired by early Weezer yet sounding way better than Weezer now a days. This is what pop music is all about, catchy, inspiring, and entirely danceable.



Bonus!!!!!
My favorite comp album of the year goes to:
We're Not Kidding: A Tribute To Barry Louis Polisar

Ok, so i did have a hand in doing the album art for this and contributed a song by my band "Your Little Pony" but thats not the only reason this is such a great album:) Childrens music never sounded better than this 60 song double disc heaping helping of bizarre and beautiful goodness.

No comments:

Post a Comment